Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Winter ONEderland (Party)

The actual day of the party was far more stressful than I had anticipated even with me getting all my prep done days before hand.  Of course, most of my stress was self-induced because I was determined to ask my guest for minimal help. I honestly wanted to invoke the element of surprise, so I thought it would be best for them to show up as guest and see the space once it was fully transformed into a Winter ONEderland Affair.  I was so serious about this that days before my first guest was scheduled to be at the house my car were loaded with all the party supplies (doing this also helped ensure I didn’t forget anything). With the exception of welcomed help from Tabby and my cousin Meka (the two people that had all the details on how I wanted everything to go) everyone else was excused from set up duties.

It was the perfect plan and the weekend was going flawlessly until...

We got to the venue and they wouldn’t let us begin set up.  Remember they had a ton of rules? Well the amount of time allocated for set up was one of them and they were very strict about it. Like we all should up ready to go at the time I tripled checked the venue would be available and it was a no go for getting in. Are you serious? Three cars filled to the max. Tabby’s car had the kids' chairs, crafts she made, and all the baked goods. Meka’s truck was filled with balloons. And my car had EVERYTHING else.  Yet we couldn’t get in and for a planner like me this made my nerves bad because I had timed everything perfectly. Turns out all the people I had spoken to had it wrong and we only had an hour to set up (grinds teeth and rolls eyes). An hour was just not going to be enough time to get everything in the venue and set up before guest would arrive.  If ever I wanted guest to show up late to something this was one of those times lol. Once they allowed us in we put on my track shoes and immediately begin the race to turn their Preschool pod into Winter ONEderlanad. I went from bringing items through the doors, to moving tables for the proper layout, to my top priority...those darn classroom boards. Until I noticed the first guest not only arrived but was looking for me. Oh no I had to leave and trust the execution of my vision to Meka and Tabby (they were nervous as hell but I knew they had it).
Before
 After
Other Wall Decor
Tables

I was just thankful that the plan was for guest to start the party in the soft playroomJ and diverted the guest attention away from the unfinished reception area by taking them down there. As guest arrived to the playroom I greeted them at the door, and each little guest received a sparkle mini top hat. Thus beginning the fun, from what I could tell every child (and parent) had a BLAST! With a few of my friends having kids that were older then the venues age restriction I had to ensure there was something for the big kids to do. 
While the little ones tumbled in the soft playroom, the big kids swam in the rec center Olympic sized pool...

The Entry
After a ton of fun in the soft playroom, guests headed upstairs in the Winter ONEderland Affair where they were greeted by...delicious food, beautiful decor, and music. As guest turned the corner to enter the reception space they were greeted with one of the décor highlights...Tabby’s paper snowflakes.  With the entry wall covered in them, and the beautiful wire trees (purchased on sale at home Goods) anchors, it was the perfect guest photo op.

The Kiddie Corner
With the Year of 1st Boards as the center of this table balloon filled back drop this table set up was executed just as I expected. The snowflake and snowman centerpieces lined the center of the table, while each child place was set with a white appetizer plate and their named sippy cup. It was adorable.
The Food
OMG!!! Can you say delicious? With such a hectic weekend I knew I wouldn’t have time to entertain guest, cook, set up the venue etc..., so I had most of  food for the party catered (with the exception of my friend Tonya’s banging tomato soup, my mother in laws awesome meatballs (to die for), and a few other items). When contacting the catering company I described my event and let them know that I was looking for bite sized kid friendly portions. Together we developed the perfect age appropriate menu which they DELIVERED in every sense of the word. I wanted to the food presentation to look a certain way so I pulled out my white platters and to add a little something, something to the table.  Most items we served in individualized portions...Tomato soup shots with cheesy bread, parfait sized pasta salad, mac and cheese balls, etc.  Needless to say the food a huge hit amongst the tiny tots, big kids, and adults.

The Cake & Deserts
Where in the world do I begin with this table? Tabby created a fabulous impromptu banner and back drop for the table. However, one the table the cake from my favorite local baker Misty stole the show.  It was beyond FABULOUS. I sent her a sample photo of the look I wanted but she truly out did herself and made this one her own. With such a beautiful cake on display I was actually surprised that the tiny tots even noticed the other treats on display (Peppermint chocolate covered pretzels, banana snowmen, and mini and full sized cupcakes, and bite sized snowflake cookies), but they did and were delighted to indulge in them .
The Hot Chocolate Bar
I’m sorry but there just had to be something for the parents and since this was a family friendly venue no alcohol was allowed lol. No worries for this momma...I’d make sure my adult guest got to enjoy somethingJ. Trust me I did by adding an adult flare to a childhood treat.  To warm guest up and embrace the brisk air I decided to have a hot chocolate bar was in order. But, any old hot chocolate bar wasn’t going to cut it.  I wanted one parents would enjoy too so, I ordered gourmet marshmallows with Flavors like peach bourbon, s'mores, cookies 'n' cream, and ice cubes (peppermint) for guest to add in their hot cocoa. In addition to the gourmet marshmallows, I also had mini marshmallows. Handmade cozies (by my awesome friend Chelsi) for guest to protect their hands. And the cutest wooden snowflake spoons for stirring.
The Favors
The favor table was filled with goodies for the little guest and adults. Parents got to take home one of my hometown favorites Synfully Sweet candy apples. While the each kid received goodie bag filled with a winter coloring book, snowflake-shaped crayons, and a number one chocolate lollipop (in either pink or purple).  Not to mention each child was able to take their snowman sippy cup home as well.
The Parents
As exhausted as we were Dom and I still showed up looking fly in our custom t-shirts designed by me of course.


That's all folks...

2 comments:

  1. Awesome PARTY wrap-up! I loved all of the details from your perspective!

    ReplyDelete